Confession - I can not remember the last time I cleaned the inside of our dishwasher. It is one of those cleaning jobs that is commonly missed. Probably because you would think that it would be clean in there because it is an appliance that cleans stuff! Alas, that is not the case. Soap scum and food bits can create a disgusting mess inside the cracks and crevices of your dishwasher.
Don't worry, this picture was taken during the cleaning process...this isn't a "pre" photo
My three trouble spots are the hinge under the door, the sides of the panels where the door closes in to and the back jet that pumps water into the spouts along the top tray. The first and the latter being the hardest to see and reach. Who knows how long it has been this bad. I just happened to see it today as I was cleaning the sides of the doors. It makes sense that junk collects in these spots as it is where the water sits or gets stuck.
When it comes to cleaning your dishwasher step away from the bleach. You don't need it and nor should you have it anywhere near the machine that cleans your families dishes! You can completely clean your dishwasher without any chemicals!
1. Mix a few drops of Dr. Bronners soap and hot water in a small dish.
2. Grab an old toothbrush and scrub scrub scrub.
3. Make sure you get all around the seals and gaskets, especially under them where they meet the bottom of the dishwasher. Get as far under the door as you can. Make sure you lift every little bit that can be lifted and scrub underneath them.
4. If you come across a spot that a toothbrush won't fit into them try using a piece of old cloth. Roll it up a bit, dip it in the soapy water and move it back and forth over the dirty area until it is clean.
5. You can take all the arms and jets off too and wash those if you are doing a deep clean.
6. Close your dishwasher and set it to run a quick cycle with hot water. Don't add any soap or anything, just let it run on its own.
7. When it is done open it up to let it dry and then spray the entire inside with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Wipe it thoroughly with an old cloth to remove any last residue.
8. Deep breath! Now you won't feel so gross about what you have been washing your dishes in!
Sorry for the bright pictures. It is really hard to take pictures of the underside of the door
(that is what this is)
It didn't take me very long to clean the dishwasher. It was less than 5 minutes of scrubbing and the vinegar clean plus the time for the dishwasher to run on its own.
How often do you clean your dishwasher? What are the trouble spots that you have found?
Related Posts - Check them Out
Stripping Your Clothes Without Chemicals
Switching to Non-Toxic Laundry Detergent
This post contains an Affiliate link that helps to pay for the blog. Thanks for clicking!