September is over which means that technically our No More Fast Food Eco-Challenge is over. As I was telling people about what we were doing the majority seemed to think we were crazy and that it would be "impossible" to do. People asked why we were doing this challenge. There are a few reasons:
* Fast food makes you feel like crap. Sluggish, greasy, gross
* There is a ridiculous amount of sodium in fast food (1040mg in a Big Mac)
* No way is any of the food local
* Some companies are known for destructive environmental practices
* Money doesn't grow on trees so there are better places for us to spend it
Regardless of why we were doing it I still thought it would be hard too...more so for Joey than me. But it really wasn't all that hard. Here is what made it easy.
* I stocked us up with homemade burgers and buns so if we craved that we easily had it on hand
* I made sweet potato fries in the oven instead of buying deep fried french fries
* I bought pizza shells and toppings so we could make our own pizza at home
* I started to menu plan again so had what we needed each night
* I prepped food the night before if required (ie: chopping toppings, marinades)
I did slip up once. I had just walked 35 km and I was exhausted and just felt like Wendy's. I craved their spicy chicken sandwich and dipping my fries into Joe's chili. I had no ability to make dinner that night and decided to just eat what I craved.
I can't say that I feel "better" after only a month. I think it takes longer to get it out of your system. But both Joe and I do agree that overall we feel healthier because we made smart meal choices. This Eco-Challenge isn't ending here. We both agreed that the pizza we have been making at home is better than what we had been buying from a local pizza place. The fast food burgers can not even come close to Joe's homemade burgers.
Want to know the nutritional information in your fast food? Check this out.
Related Posts - Check them Out
Weekly Eco-Challenge: Plastic Problems
Weekly Eco-Challenge: Waste Streams
The Earth is Part of Us