I have been trying to get rid of this vine on the side of our house all summer and before me Joe was trying for 2 years. I have tried ripping it up, digging up root balls, swearing at it and pouring hot water on it. I took this picture almost a month ago of what the vine looked like on one side of the fence.
That afternoon I poured an entire jug of pickling vinegar on the root balls on the other side of that fence. Today I went out to check on its progress. I expected to see the vine growing stronger than normal, angry at what I had done. I found this instead.
Basically what you see in the first picture was on this side of the fence as well. So this is massive progressive. I am going to have to check and see if there is a root ball on the other side of the fence because there is still some growth there.
What I learned in all of this is that there are natural ways to get rid of nuisance plants (this one was climbing into our eaves troughs, the vent for our dryer and the vent for our fireplace. It also made the gate completely in accessible). Yes it took longer than if I had used a chemical but now that I know vinegar works things will go much quicker if I ever have to do this again.
Related Posts - Check them Out
How the Ants Skooled me and then I Skooled them
Vinegar isn't just for fries